Magnetic Flywheel Builders

Design & Building Flywheels with Rotor Coupling

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tivon Rivers Tivon Rivers 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tivon Rivers
    Tivon Rivers
    Keymaster

Flywheel and rotor designs are discussed and shared in this area. Different coupling methods between flywheels and rotors are also covered.

Tivon Rivers
    Keymaster

I am currently in the middle of testing the flywheel prototype as it’s an important step in helping trying to reduce power input directly from the DC motor for both the QEG and miniQEG. I am almost done with testing the flywheel with a known control alternator, and look forward to running tests with the QEG. The QEG (and miniQEG) are resonant reluctance generators, and do not suffer from Lenz drag introduced by energized field windings. We are allowing the QEG to teach us, as we develop and test the periphery technologies that will close the loop.

After running bench tests of the flywheel connected to the 1.5kw alternator, I have concluded that connecting the QEG to the main flywheel may be the best option and allow the two smaller magnetic rotors to free spin and act as an assist during operation. We have seen strange acceleration and oscillation behavior when this prototype is unloaded and the smaller rotors are allowed to free spin. I am trying different coupling methods to the control alternator first, before testing on the QEG.

Tivon Rivers
    Keymaster

The flywheel with the smaller rotors will run in sync only to where the load on the small rotors isn’t greater than the pull force between the meshed gears. Otherwise, slip will occur. If there is an intermediate circuit that can decouple the load from source however, and the generator that is being driven is in resonance mode, then perhaps the drag can be minimized for the increased rpm. Otherwise, one can always just use the larger steel flywheel alone and attached to a pulley for traditional coupling to a spindle without the need for the smaller rotors at all.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar