TeslaGen Builders

Removable High Voltage Bobbins R&D

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tivon Rivers Tivon Rivers 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tivon Rivers
    Tivon Rivers
    Keymaster

Topic covers high voltage bobbin development for the modular stator of the miniQEG.

Profile photo of Richard Green
    Richard Green
    Participant

Do the fins on the bobbins serve a specific or critical purpose? Would removing the fins to make room for more wire affect the TeslaGenV1 negatively?
    Keep rocking! I love the videos and updates.

Tivon Rivers
    Keymaster

Hello Richard,

I am working a modified design to the one that is in the TeslaGen CAD package. The fins are important because they help insulate and isolate the voltage difference between windings. The modified design has about eliminated the problem of winding around a curve. Instead, the windings are straight and the insulated sections are curved ‘wedges’, making it easier to wind by hand and machine. Also the new bobbins are designed to handle much larger voltages (i.e. many tens of kilovolts). Therefore, the wire gauges will be higher (smaller diameter), but the working voltages much be much higher. There is a particular reason I chose to go this path with the TeslaGen. This will make the TeslaGen (miniQEG) and tesla coils compatible technologies. Very important.

Kind regards,

Tivon

Tivon Rivers
    Keymaster

Hello Richard,

I am working a modified design to the one that is in the TeslaGen CAD package. The fins are important because they help insulate and isolate the voltage difference between windings. The modified design has about eliminated the problem of winding around a curve. Instead, the windings are straight and the insulated sections are curved ‘wedges’, making it easier to wind by hand and machine. Also the new bobbins are designed to handle much larger voltages (i.e. many tens of kilovolts). Therefore, the wire gauges will be higher (smaller diameter), but the working voltages much be much higher. There is a particular reason I chose to go this path with the TeslaGen. This will make the TeslaGen (miniQEG) and tesla coils compatible technologies. Very important.

Kind regards,

Tivon

Richard Green
    Participant

Thanks Tivon, I will keep an eye out for the updated bobbin design. Keep Rocking. I love the updates and QEG real world episodes. It is great to see the advances on the project and experiments everyone is doing.

Tivon Rivers
    Keymaster

Hello all,

The following images are of the new bobbin design.

New design

Cost, ease of winding, and ruggedness was taken into consideration. The quoted prices I received to getting this bobbin fabricated fluctuated wildly. Believe it or not, getting the sample bobbin 3D printed (SLS or SLA) would have costed 4 to 5 times the cost it took to have it made by CNC. BTW, I consulted with over six companies and found only one that had the machinery to make the bobbin via CNC process. Personally, I think the fact that a CNC machine can ‘carve out’ a curved chamber for the stator piece is amazing!

New Bobbin sample

New Bobbin with Stator Piece

New Bobbin with Stator Piece 2

The bobbin only cost 130 USD to fabricate instead of 500 USD, and is made of ABS. It is easier to wind as the winding areas are straight and the insulating separators are wedges. This means thousands are volts are possible per bobbin without any possibility of damage to the wind.

All that’s left is to see if this new bobbin can be wound by machine. The company I am consulting with in China will give it a try. I am not sure if they will try to hand wind or use machine, but I have been told that if they use a machine, due to the length of the bobbin, there will be slack along the widths. There aren’t that many turns per section though, so maybe it will not be a problem. I am trying 126 turns per section with .4mm diameter wire. There are 10 sections per bobbins for a total of 1260 turns.

Length of Bobbin

New Bobbin Winding Directions

Either way, I will let you know the result. Besides, nothing beats a good old-fashioned hand wind 😉

Thanks again for the support 🙂

Richard Green
    Participant

I Love it! Thanks for all of the hard work and time you have devoted Tivon.

Tivon Rivers
    Keymaster

Hello,

I am very excited to announce the first four stator bobbins have been wound and are now ready, and the miniQEG is being assembled as I’m typing this update:

miniQEG core set

I have opted to have all four bobbins wound in the same direction (clockwise). All four bobbins also have high turn primaries with the option of winding a thicker gauge secondaries by hand. I made this decision to replicate the coil geometry of Tesla’s transformer patent 381,970. Each bobbin has 10 sections with 126 turns per section for a total of 1260 turns per bobbin. The wire is 0.4mm diameter silver plated, high-voltage grade enameled copper wire.

stator bobbin profile

As you can see, these bobbins are CNC machined from dense ABS plastic with high voltage separators.

High Voltage Wind

This will allow for the TeslaGen builder to experiment with higher voltages in confidence without any fear of short-circuit of the high voltage coils.

I look forward to providing more information soon on the progress of the miniQEG construction.

Best regards,

-Tivon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar